Meet Setup and Sessions screens contain configurations the meet admin can change as needed. These configurations include the Meet Name, Meet Dates, Start Time, Location, Pool Configurations and Start Time Estimations.
If your meet is delayed, or a change in venue is required for example, the ability to update this information directly in Meet Maestro removes the need to coordinate a re-merge in SwimTopia.
With our addition of Virtual Meets and the ability to customize pool configurations on a per session basis, teams from across the world can compete, and do so safely!
Covered in this Article:
- Accessing Meet Setup and Sessions Screens
- Single Session Meet (Ex. Dual Meet)
- Multi Session or Virtual Meets
- Time Entry Interface
Accessing Meet Setup and Sessions Screens
Meet Setup and Sessions screens are found under Meet Maestro Settings (gear icon).
The screens display differently depending on the type of meet being run - Single Session Meet, Multi Session Meet, or Virtual Meet. You will not see the Sessions option in a single session meet.
Single Session Meet (Ex. Dual Meet)
As mentioned above, in a single session meet, only the Meet Setup option will display in the settings menu, as there is only one "session."
➧ Meet Setup
The Meet Setup fields are defaulted to the home team settings (whichever team merged the meet). Most field changes do not initiate a process when modified. However, changes to the Pool Configuration settings do trigger processing as noted below.
>>Note: Changes to the Meet Name will update the reports. If a name is too long for labels, the truncated name that will be used is also displayed here.
➧ Start Time Estimation
The “Start Time Estimation” is used to create your “Session Report.” The Session Report outlines estimated start times for each event, based on how many seconds there are between races. The suggested settings are 30 secs and 15 for backstroke.
➧ Pool Configuration - Lane Count
Changing the lane count and selecting the Update button will trigger a reseeding of the meet. Users are presented with a notification to confirm or cancel the reseeding process.
Upon confirming, a new ‘Meet Reseeding in Progress’ banner will display at the top of the page until the reseeding process is complete. Once complete, the application will reload.
>>Note: While this process is taking place, the Update button is disabled, restricting further changes. It is best to wait for this reseeding to complete before moving off of this page, but reseeding will continue if you do.
➧ Pool Configuration - Course Correction Factor
First let's understand the difference between course conversion and correction:
- Course Conversions: Converting from one official course to another (SCM to SCY)
- Course Corrections: Adjusting a time for a non-standard pool into a standard course (23yd to SCY)
If your pool is non-standard length, this can be set by checking the 'Non-standard length?' checkbox. Meet Maestro will apply a correction factor for the ‘Official Time’ when this value is set. The times from this non-standard length pool will be converted into standard length times (22yd pool into 25yd for example).
➞ See Non-Standard Pool Configurations article for scenarios that may help you understand your settings.
➧ Pool Configuration - Changing After Meet Start
If a change is made to the Pool Configuration settings that could impact how the results should be calculated for the official time, official place, or points, the user will see a new informational banner while the server recalculates the relevant fields.
This banner will display on either the Meet Setup (single session meets) or Sessions screens (multi session or virtual meets).
>>Note: While this process is taking place, the Update button is disabled restricting further changes. It is best to wait for completion before moving off of this page, but it will continue if you do.
- A dual meet in a non-standard pool where the host team changed the Course Correction Factor after the meet started. In this case, official times need to be recalculated (place and points will be unchanged).
- A virtual dual meet where the visiting team changed their session course after entering some results. In this case, their session’s official times must be recalculated, then the entire meet needs all places recalculated and scored.
Multi Session or Virtual Meets
In a multi session and/or virtual meet, users will see a Sessions tab in addition to Meet Setup. The Meet Setup screen will display differently since we introduce the Sessions screen to allow certain items to be set per session.
➧ Meet Setup
Notably, the Start Time and Start Time Estimation sections are missing, since these fields are managed on a per-session basis.
>>Note: When the virtual meet checkbox is selected on the Merge/Export screen in SwimTopia, the informational banner (above) will display to explain the scoring process and per-session configuration. This does not display for a standard multi session meet.
The Sessions screen lists details about each session in the meet.
>>Note: For Virtual Meets, the session name will default to match the team names.
When the pool configuration for a session does not match the meet pool configuration, the "Official Time" will be converted into the meet's course. This page allows users to see if this conversion will take place.
>>Tip: Sessions can use different systems for timing. The timing configuration is per computer, not per session or per team or per meet. For example, if you have a laptop setup to use Dolphin it will try to use Dolphin for any sessions. ➞ See Meet Maestro Settings – Timing Setup for more details.
➧ Session Editing
Clicking the Edit button on the Sessions screen displays options for configuring the session.
>>Note: The “Start Time Estimation” is used to create your “Session Report.” The Session Report outlines estimated start times for each event, based on how many seconds there are between races. The suggested settings are 30 secs and 15 for backstroke.
➧ Virtual Meet: Competing in Different Pools
Toggling 'Override Location and Pool Configuration for this Session' displays options to set the Location, Lane Count and Pool Length specific to your team. By default, this is set to match the host team settings.
➞ See the following sections above for details on the processes triggered by these changes:
- Pool Configuration - Lane Count
- Pool Configuration - Course Correction Factor
- Pool Configuration - Changing After Meet Start
Time Entry Interface
➧ Single Session Meet (Ex. Dual Meet)
With Course Correction Factor:
Header bar only displays the course under the seed time and official time. The other times are uncorrected.
➧ Multi-Session or Virtual Meet
Session With a Course Correction Factor:
The result table header displays course and session indicators when the meet is being run as a Virtual Meet.
>>Note: The extra time will only be present when there is a time and without a “code” in the results column as shown below:
Session Without a Course Correction Factor:
NOTABLE POINTS FOR VIRTUAL MEETS:
- RESULT TIME: Equals the 'Actual' time for the meet. Matches the course of the physical pool where this event took place. This value is calculated using the watch times based on the meet settings established when creating the meet in SwimTopia. ➞ See SwimTopia – Setting up Seeding & Scoring Rules
- OFFICIAL TIME: Equals the ‘Virtual’ time for the meet. Its course will match the ‘official course’ of the meet. If both teams are in a standard pool, the standard conversion factor applies. If in non-standard pools, teams need to agree on the course correction factor pre-meet.
- HEAT PLACE: The place for the athlete in this heat in this pool.
- PLACE: The virtual place based on all results in all sessions, which will automatically be updated once the swim event is completed by all teams.
- POINTS: The virtual points based on all results in all sessions, which will automatically be updated once the swim event is completed by all teams.
>>Note: For a regular Multi Session meet, the scoring, place and points are not combined across sessions like in a Virtual Meet scenario. Each session is treated separately.