Select the Communications tab in the Team Management console to send an email to individuals or a mass email to groups.
Group emails can be sent to:
- The entire member list (current and/or past)—typically parents
- All parents
- All athletes (due to the Children's Online Privacy Protection Rule ("COPPA"), only High School teams can send Communications directly to athletes). Will go to the parents if there’s no email address affiliated with the athlete.
- Athlete Age Groups—actually goes to parents of the athletes
- Athlete Roster Groups—also to parents
- Members of a role (i.e., Timers, Concessions, and so on)
Note: All email sent from your website will be from the name and email address associated with your own login. Some teams opt to set up a generic team or role admin logins to send team-wide email messages.
Remember: green = group
- Email all members of the team in the current season team by entering: Members. All users are automatically added to your Members group for the current season through registration, including Approved and Pending registrations and users manually added through the People tab. The Members group is intended for team-wide general information Communications. Parents who have requested to not receive email communications in Registration are not included in Members. These parents will show “Unsubscribed” when viewing their record in People.
- Email members of the previous season by entering: Members - Previous Season. All last season's imported users and registrations are included in this group, unless they have opted out. This is an excellent way to invite members to register for a new season.
- Email Parents only by entering: Parents. This group will include parents who have opted out or been unsubscribed.
- Parents can unsubscribe from Members but not from Parents. In other words, using the Parents email group will send a message to every parent with an email address even if they have used the unsubscribe feature. So don’t use this group for general announcements.
- Email Athletes only by entering: Athletes. Generally only for High School teams.
- Email Athlete Age Groups by typing the age or gender, then select from the drop-down list of choices. Note: 15 + age groups are typically labeled “Men” or “Women.” Typically goes to the parents of these athletes.
- Email Athlete Roster Groups by entering the name of the group. Also goes to the parents in most cases.
- Email all members assigned to a role by typing in the name of that role, such as "Board," "Timers," "Ribbons," etc. Users are automatically included in these email groups when you assign them to a Role. ➞ See more information on Defining Roles and Assigning Volunteers to Roles.
- Parents can only unsubscribe from the Members group. All other groups are delivered to the parents without regard to the unsubscribe option.
- A particular Communication will not be sent to a single recipient more than once, even if you enter multiple groups in the recipient field and they are members of more than one group. For example if you send to multiple age groups and the parent has more than one child, they will only receive one message.
- The Members group may be smaller than the Parents group. There’s no need to send to both groups in a single message. If you want everyone to receive the message even if they’ve requested not to be communicated with, use Parents but use it sparingly.
Note: All messages sent to athletes that do not have an email address in their profile will go to that athlete's associated parents instead.
You may also send emails to groups while working with reports and meet jobs & shifts. See our Sending Group Emails through Reports and Meets tutorial for more details.