Like many configurations provided to offer flexibility to our customers, entry rules can vary greatly between leagues and teams. Before you can begin entering swimmers in events, you'll need to confirm your meet entry requirements and rules are accurately set.
Entry Rules are managed within a specific meet (under Meet Setup) or in a Meet Template. Both options are located under Manage Team > Schedule.
Covered in this Article:
- Setting Entry Rules within a Meet Template (suggested)
- Managing Entry Rules in a Meet
- Entry Rules - Configuration Options
Setting Entry Rules within a Meet Template (suggested)
You can set these rules one time by creating a Meet Template with your events and rules from Manage Team > Schedule > Meet Templates area, and then apply this template to your meets.
➞ See the Meet Templates article for additional details on creating your Meet Templates and applying them to your meets.
>>Note: Updates to these rules (along with any settings in a Meet Template) will be automatically applied to any meet that has not yet occured.
The only difference between what you see on the Entry Rules page in a Meet Template, and within a particular meet, is the Template Locking section as seen below. This box should be checked if you do not want other admins to change any settings when the meet template is linked to the meet.
>>Note: If your Meet Templates have been shared by your league, you will not be able to edit these settings. If you see a setting you need changed, contact your league to determine if they will update the shared template, or obtain approval to copy the template to create your own with the setting changed.
Details for each configuration option is listed below.
Managing Entry Rules in a Meet
You can also set or update your team's entry rules directly from within your meet. This will only affect the meet you are working on.
This is done from Manage Team > Schedule > Select Meet Name > Meet Setup >Entry Rules
Details for each configuration option is listed below.
Entry Rules - Configuration Options
>>Note: Hover over the ? next to each configuration to see a popup of the definitions provided below:
➧ General Rules
- Entry Limits: The maximum number of individual, relay and total (combined) events allowed per athlete.
- Allow meet results to be edited after a meet is completed: Allows coaches/admins to edit results after a meet has been completed. (i.e. an athlete could not attend a Time Trial and later swims during practice to obtain a time, which the coach can then enter in the results screen directly to avoid having to re-import the file.)
Use times from other teams for seeding purposes: If the swimmer has times from another SwimTopia account, use those times for seeding.
Allow manual assignment of heats and lanes: Fields to input heat and lane will be provided in entry interface. >>Note: To create a split-team Intrasquad or Time Trials meet where you break your team into two "teams", this needs to be checked so you can manually assign lanes. ➞ See Intrasquad / Time Trials Setup.
Results of this meet will be treated as official/unofficial for entry in later meets: Unofficial results will be excluded from meets requiring official entry times.
- Only accept entry times since ___: Restrict how recent a time must have been posted to be eligible for this meet. Typically used to limit entry times to meets from the same season.
Require valid entry times (do not allow NT times): Entry will only be allowed if the athlete has previously posted a valid time in the event. The event will be disabled for online entry by the parent, but coaches can override this in the Meet Entry Matrix.
Require official entry times (do not use times from unofficial meets): Results from meets set to be "unofficial" (time trials, practice meets, etc)
Official times are preferred (use times from official meets if available): Unofficial entry times are allowed only if no official time is available.
Allow entries using custom times: Allows coaches/admins to input a custom time for individual and relay events.
- Require entry times to be faster than or equal to the event "Faster Than" time: enables per-event entry qualification times. These Time Standards times are set in the Events tab.
- Require entry times to be slower than the "Slower Than" time for the event: enables per-event "Slower Than" times. These Time Standards times are set in the Events tab.
➧ Individual Events
- Allow individual swim-up entries: Allow athletes in a younger age group to swim up in an individual event for an older age group.
Allow lead-off relay leg times to be used as entry times: If an athlete's best time is from a lead-off leg of a relay, use that time as a seed time for an individual event with the same stroke and distance.
Allow exhibition entries: Allow individual entires to be marked as exhibition (non-scoring)
Allow alternate entries: Allow individual entries to be designated as alternates.
Allow bonus entries: Allow individual entires to be marked as 'bonus' (will not count against entry limits)
- Require bonus entry times to be faster than or equal to the “Bonus Entry” time for the event: enables per-event "Bonus Entry" times. These Time Standard times are set in the Events tab.
➧ Relay Events
- Maximum relay teams per event: Options exist from 'No Limit' to 'A to H relays only'
For mixed gender relay teams, require at least ___ of each gender: Options for 0, 1 or 2
Require an individual event entry for relay eligibility: If checked, requires an athlete be entered in at least one individual event in order to be eligible to swim on a relay. Options to choose 0, 1, 2 or 3
Allow athletes to enter multiple relays of the same stroke (e.g. more than one freestyle relay): If not checked, athletes will be limited to at most one freestyle and one medley relay.
Allow relay swim-up entries: Allow athletes in a younger age group to swim up in a relay for an older age group.
- Allow no more than ___ swim-up athletes per relay team: Options for 1-4
Allow entry of relay alternates: Allow entry of additional alternate athletes per relay. This is a setting you want to check if you create relays with more than 4 athletes. You can have up to 8 using this setting.
Count alternate entries towards relay entry limits: If checked, all relay alternate entries will count towards the per athlete relay entry limit.
➞ Next Topic - Meet Setup: Entry Fees