In order to comply with the U.S. Center for SafeSport requirements, the USA Swimming Board of Directors expanded the categories of volunteers, staff, and other individuals who are required to be non-athlete members of USA Swimming. This article provides a summary of this information. See the link to a USA Swimming article provided below for more specific details.
Covered in this Article:
- USA Swimming News: New Categories of Individuals Required to be Non-Athlete Members
- Summary of USA Swimming Non-Athlete Volunteer Requirements
- Using SwimTopia to Manage Volunteers: Limit Job Signups Based on Role Assignment
- Got Questions?
USA Swimming News: New Categories of Individuals Required to be Non-Athlete Members
Effective January 1, 2022, USA Swimming posted an article with specific details about requirements for non-athlete members.
➞ See the USA Swimming article for more details: Categories of Individuals Required to be Non-Athlete Members
Summary of USA Swimming Non-Athlete Volunteer Requirements
Starting January 1, 2022, the following individuals must be non-athlete members of USA Swimming:
- Adult employees of USA Swimming, Local Swimming Committees (LSCs) and member clubs;
- Adults serving on the board of directors of USA Swimming, LSCs and member clubs;
- Individuals in a position of oversight over the operations of a member club;
- Adults with an ownership interest in a member club;
- Referees, starters, administrative officials, chief judges, stroke and turn judges, meet marshals; and
- Other volunteers who interact directly and frequently with or have authority over athletes (as defined in the SafeSport Code for the Olympic and Paralympic Movement) as a regular part of their duties.
Using SwimTopia to Manage Volunteers: Limit Job Signups Based on Role Assignment (For Team Admin)
Jobs that require prior approval (e.g., USA Swimming membership) can be restricted to those members who have been assigned by an admin to a particular role.
First, you will need to create a role for non-athletes who have a USA Swimming membership in good standing.
Next, you can pre-assign applicable members to that role, after you’ve confirmed they have a USA Swimming membership in good standing (visible on the People page or on the USA Swimming Member Status report).
When creating your Jobs & Shifts in your SwimTopia site, check “Require specific role for this job” to restrict online signup to members assigned to the role you created for USA Swimming members.
➞ See the Assigning Volunteers to Roles tutorial for more info.
➞ Check out our ▶️ Training Video - SWIMS 3.0 Integration Overview
For questions specific to USA Swimming volunteer requirements, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions about how to implement the SwimTopia job signup feature mentioned above, feel free to contact our Customer Happiness Team for assistance.