There are some situations where teams will need to set up multiple seasons per year.
- Teams with a Summer and Winter season
- High school teams that have different seasons for girls and boys
- Teams that offer a pre-season conditioning program before summer begins
- Teams that offer clinics and lessons
The benefits to setting up multiples seasons include:
- People who are not members of one season can register for things offered in the other season
- It’s easier to communicate with families based on their season affiliation
- It’s easier to report on and manage members based on their season affiliation
Covered in this Article:
- What is a Season?
- Current Season
- Calendar Events and Seasons
- Registrations/Affiliations and Seasons
- Setting up Multiple Seasons
- Setting Up Your Seasons
- Setting up Your Season: Pre-Season Spring Clinic
- Setting up Your Season: Summer Season
- Setting up Registration Forms
- Opening Registration
- Viewing/Reporting on Registrations
What is a Season?
A Season is simply a span of time during which your team’s activities take place. The simplest is a single season spanning the calendar year, January 1 through December 31. This is the default and is all most teams ever need.
- A season defines a range of time, from the start date to the end date.
- Seasons are used to organize your events, athlete affiliations, role assignments, sponsorships and registrations.
- The selected "Current season" determines which season is active, regardless of the current date.
- Members who are affiliated with the active current season are included in Communications and Reports.
- If a season has an age-up date, that date is used to determine athlete ages for age groups.
- By setting the current season you can control when your team "rolls over to the next season."
» Note: Seasons may overlap and everything will work fine. However, when setting up your start and end dates, it’s better to not have gaps between your seasons. Meets can have a separate age-up date, so check this date if ages seem off when doing meet entries.
The “Current Season” is something you have control over and it means “which season is active right now” on your site. If the date span of the current season doesn’t include today’s date, you will see messages about fixing your season. You can safely ignore this for the purposes of opening your registration for your next clinic season, for example.
Calendar Events and Seasons
Any Calendar Event or Swim Meet that falls within the start and end date of a season will appear in that season’s schedule and calendar, however there is no special“connection” to a particular season.
Registrations/Affiliations and Seasons
The way a parent or athlete is connected with a season is via affiliation. Registration is how most affiliations are set. The parent completes the registration and then the parents and their athletes are affiliated with the season that the registration form was opened in. You can also manually affiliate a person via their People page.
» Note: It is very important that you do not open a registration form until you confirm your current season is set to match when you want to capture those registrations.
Everyone with an email address who is affiliated with the current season will receive messages sent to “Members” (unless they have opted out of general emails or been unsubscribed).
Likewise, “Members -Previous Season” will send to the members of the first official season prior to the current season.
You can also use the Athlete Roster and Parent Information reports to send a message to everyone in any given season.
Setting up Multiple Seasons
There are several steps to setting up multiple seasons, especially if the seasons overlap.
For our example, let’s say we have a 6-week pre-season Spring Readiness Clinic that is offered in the weeks leading up to the Summer season. In this example, registration for both may be open at the same time, but some athletes might end up in one program and not the other. This is a perfect situation for setting up two seasons.
Here are the steps you would take to set up multiple seasons and the registration forms for both:
- Set up the seasons you need with the start and end dates incorporating the dates of the events that are associated with the season.
- Set up the registration forms required for the seasons you have created.
- Set the Current Season to the season you want people to be registering for and open the registration form.
- Set the Current Season to the season it should be, if different.
- View registrations in other seasons using Reports > Registration Details / Data Export
The key is to set the “current season,” and then open registration for that season.
Read on for more details about each of the steps...
Setting Up Your Seasons
Name them recognizably—whatever you’d call them if you were talking with someone on the team about the season or clinic.
The dates for the beginning and end of the season should include all of the important dates of the season, such as the first meeting, the final awards dinner, and the like. You don’t need to include the date you plan to open the registration in this calculation, though, because you can open registration before the season starts.
You can designate a season as “unofficial.” Unofficial seasons are not included in the “Members - Previous Season” mailing list. This means if only your Summer sessions are official, you will be able to easily remind last year’s families when this year‘s registration is open.
➞ See Creating & Managing Your Seasons for more details.
➧ Setting up Your Season: Pre-Season Spring Clinic
➧ Setting up Your Season: Summer Season
Setting up Registration Forms
When you make a new registration form, set the “Section Title” (which is also the name of the registration form) to something meaningful. In our example, there will be a registration form for the 2019 Spring Clinic, and another registration form for the 2019 Summer Season.
For more details ➞ See our Help Center section about Registration.
When it’s time to open registration for a season, remember: the key is to set the “current season,” and then open registration for that season.
Let’s continue our example—we’re ready to open registration for the pre-season Spring Clinic.
- Go to Schedule > Seasons
- For “Current season,” select the 2019 Spring Clinic season and click Save
Will look like this afterward:
3. Go to Registrations and open your Spring Clinic registration
4. To have both Spring Clinic and Summer registrations open at the same time: Go to Schedule > Seasons and set the Current Season back to the regular summer season
5. Go to Registrations and open your Summer registration form
» Note: the Spring Clinic Registration doesn’t APPEAR open in the Summer season, but it IS open in the Spring Clinic Season.
Now your Registration Alert snippet will show registration is open
And when people click the Register Now button they’ll choose which registration to complete
Registrations using the 2019 Spring Clinic Registration will be affiliated with your pre-season program and those using the 2019 Summer Registration form will be affiliated with your Summer season
» Note: If your Current Season is set to your Spring Clinic, members will not be able to edit their job signups from their Summer registration (or signup for jobs/meets after registration) until you have made that season your Current Season.
Viewing/Reporting on Registrations
➧ In the Current Season
When your families begin registering, you’ll see the number of athletes and the number of registrations increasing as they complete registering. Only the registrations for the current season appear in the Athletes/Registrations columns. You can view the individual registrations for the current season by clicking the View Registrations button.
➧ In Other Seasons
Since only the current season’s registration info appears on the Registrations page, to view OTHER season’s registrations, go to Reports > Registration Details / Data Export. When you run the report, select the desired season. Many of the other reports are configurable to show information about any season, so you can use them to learn more details about various seasons.
You can view the roster and other family information in People and search by season to see who has registered.
If a registration shows “Open” in Registrations, you can simply close it. If it shows closed but is open in a different season, you can close it everywhere by sliding the status bar to open and then closing again in any season. If all registrations are closed in every season, your registration alert snippet will be hidden on your team site.
hcmanagescheduleseasons hcmanagescheduleseasonsaddseason hcmanagescheduleseasonsedit