Covered in this Article:
➧ General Setup Information
- School Teams vs Summer or Year-Round Teams
- How SwimTopia Handles School Athletes
- Separate Sites - Boys and Girls Teams
- Reasons Not to Use One SwimTopia Site for HS and MS
➧ Team Management
➧ Meet Management
➧ USA Swimming Member Management
General Setup Information
School Teams vs Summer or Year-Round Teams
The primary difference between school swim teams and summer/rec and year-round swim teams is that high school teams do not use Age Groups.
- SwimTopia supports high school swim teams in the same ways as other types of teams, but SwimTopia does not require birth dates to group middle or high school athletes.
- While the age of the athlete is a key factor of event eligibility and roster organization in summer/rec and year-round programs, for schools, age is usually irrelevant.
- For school teams, grade level can be used to organize rosters, and at times, to filter event eligibility (e.g. freshman/sophomore meets).
For more information on managing your school grade level designations, ➞ See our tutorial on School Year Athlete Groups.
How SwimTopia Handles School Athletes
➧ Athlete Roster
Date of birth: is not required to manually add or import athletes to a school swim team
School year: can be added to their profile, and when assigned it will be shown instead of age group. If no school year is assigned, the athlete's default affiliation is "Athlete"
Grade level designations: are initially set to (FR) Freshman, (SO) Sophomore, (JR) Junior, and (SR) Senior, but these can be customized by each team and are included in roster and meet entry exports when assigned for each athlete
- School Year vs. Date of Birth: Teams have the option to collect each athlete's school year instead of date of birth (must be enabled on the form, and it's currently either/or only - see below for an option to collect both.)
- Athlete Emails: Teams can collect an email address for each athlete during registration (must be enabled on the form). There is a downloadable email list located above the submitted registrations table.
- Age Restrictions: There are no age range restrictions for registration or age range overrides on the acknowledgement section
- Age-range override and "swim up" options: have been removed from meet entry settings
- Age designations: are ignored for meet entry eligibility
- Meet entries: are not organized by age group in the meet entry matrix -- instead, they always display as "Women Open" and "Men Open"
- Mailing List: Each school year group becomes an automatic mailing list - type in the name of the group in a new message to email all athletes in that group
Separate Sites - Boys and Girls Teams
If your school has separate boys and girls teams, you can choose to use two SwimTopia accounts to manage the teams for the same price as one account. If your school chooses the per-athlete fee pricing, the school will be charged the upfront fee only once, and the athlete invoice will include all athletes in both accounts.
For additional pricing questions or to reach out to our billing team:
Reasons NOT to Use One SwimTopia Site for HS and MS
- Team Abbreviation - there can only be one
- Meet Entries - The meet entries matrix is currently combined. So you would see MS athletes and HS athletes in the table for all meets.
- Communication - You can use athlete roster groups to handle both groups in one site and communicate with those groups specifically, but if you ever wanted to reach out using "Members" or "Members (Previous Season)" or "Athlete" or "Parents" groups, you would be reaching both MS and HS families.
- Merchandising Reports - You can choose what merchandise is provided on each registration form to separate MS and HS merchandise, and you could create two separate online stores, but the reporting is combined at this time.
Based on the reasons above, we suggest keeping the sites separated. If you have further questions, feel free to Submit a request with specific questions.
To sign up for another team site, ➞ Go to https://www.swimtopia.com/signup/
Capturing Date of Birth AND School Year Group
During registration, High School Teams have the option to collect each athlete's school year instead of their date of birth, however, you can configure the registration form to collect the school year, OR the athlete's date of birth, but not both.
For teams that need to collect both pieces of information, we have a few options:
- Set up a "merchandise item" to capture the school year information, and select to capture birthdates on the main page of the registration form. Then reference the information from the registration report to add to the athlete profiles. ➞ See our Community Post for more details.
- Use the Question section on your registration form to request the school year group for each athlete. You will need to instruct the person registering to enter each name with the school year (i.e. John - Freshman, Jane - Senior) since questions are not per-athlete based. Then like the option above, you can download the registration report to add the information to the athlete profiles.
- Or you could send out a link to a Google form in the registration confirmation email or from the Communications tab separate from the registration, to collect the data outside of the system. Then manually enter the info in each athlete's profile.
Enforcing Age Limits Requires Capturing Birthdates
When setting up your registration form, you will see an Age Restriction section where you can enforce a minimum and maximum age.
You should NOT set an age restriction unless birthdates are being collected.
If you manually add a birthdate to an athlete's profile (in "People") and there is an age restriction set on your form, but birthdates are not being collected, the athlete will not be able to register again if their age is outside of the range.
Filtering Entries by Athlete Roster Group
Filtering by athlete roster group is being considered for a future release. To accomplish this goal today, you can temporarily mark one Athlete Roster Group as non-competitive prior to doing your meet entries and then change them back to competitive once you have completed your entries. For example - If you want to do your meet entries for a Varsity-only meet:
Go to Settings>Athlete Roster Groups>JV>Edit
Check the box "this group is non-competitive" and Save
Complete your meet entries for your Varsity meet and then go back and uncheck the box "this group is non-competitive" for the JV Athlete Roster Group.
» Note: For this to work all athletes will need to be assigned to their respective Athlete Roster Group.
To assign an athlete to a specific roster group, find the athlete under your People tab, click on the Edit button, and assign them to the appropriate Athlete Roster Group:
Why You're Seeing Summer Seed Times for Athletes
If an athlete wants to use the same email on multiple team sites that use our software or see all of their results combined on each site, we have to merge their accounts.
You have two options to exclude these times in your seeding. Either one will result in the Summer League times only showing under the swimmer's account (times history/best times).
Option 1: Set the "Only accept entry times since" under the Qualification section of your Meet Setup > Entry Rules to only accept times after a certain date, and none of those summer times would be used in high school seeding.
Option 2: Do not check the box "Use times from other teams for seeding purposes" in Meet Setup > Entry Rules.
Athlete Email Download
There is a CSV download of emails captured during registration located above the submitted registrations table. This is under Manage Team > Registration > click on Registrant# for the form > Download Email Addresses <csv>
USA Swimming Member Management
USA Swimming Sanctioned Meets - Add Athlete USA Swimming IDs
SwimTopia integrates with SWIMS 3.0, syncing USA Swimming membership information and status with each member’s SwimTopia account information.
If your team participates in USA Swimming-sanctioned meets, you should enter the USA-Swimming ID numbers for your athletes in the Athlete Registration Number report. Otherwise, their times won't upload to SWIMS.
This report is found under Manage Team > Reports > Member Information > Athlete Registration Numbers
» Note: As new athletes register, you can update this report. Make sure you double-check these numbers to avoid adding times to the wrong athlete.