Meet Maestro provides teams with added flexibility to manually enter splits and reaction times to track how an athlete or relay team progresses at each lap throughout their event. There is also an option to "Show Splits" in the run interface to view under the time display of each lane, and this data will transfer to a team's SwimTopia site in the results file for display in multiple locations described below.
Covered in this Article:
- What is a Split?
- What is the Reaction Time?
- Why Record Splits?
- Meet Maestro Run Interface
- Adding/Editing Relay Splits
- Results Report: Splits and Reaction Times
- Splits in Meet Maestro Results Exports
- Splits Display in Your SwimTopia Site
What is a Split?
The term “splits” usually is applied to two related but distinct concepts: relay legs and splits. An individual event can have multiple splits if the event distance includes more than one touch of a pad. For relay events, each athlete swims for a leg, which has its own time associated with it. Additionally, for longer relays, a relay leg can also include splits.
What is the Reaction Time?
A reaction time is measured by a special starting block to measure the time between the start and the feet leaving the block, or in the case of a relay, the time between the previous relay leg touching the pad and the next athlete’s feet leaving the block.
Why Record Splits?
Recording splits and calculating times is useful in determining what legs of the race are covered in what amount of time. For example: if your final time for a 100 freestyle is 1:10, your 1st split (first 50 yards) can be :30 seconds, and your 2nd split (second 50 yards) would be :40 seconds.
Meet Maestro Run Interface
➧ Display Controls
Splits can be made visible via the heat/lane Actions menu. Once the choice is made to Show Splits, this choice is remembered until the user reloads the app or loads a different meet.
➧ Splits Display
Splits will display under each results entry row. Click the ADD SPLITS button to add, and EDIT SPLITS to change what has been entered previously.
Splits with Reaction Time
Relay legs will group/wrap by relay leg making it easy to scan for accuracy/issues.
Compressed screen display (second column of splits is aligned under the first column)
It is possible for splits to be missing when others display. This could be the result of a manual mistake when typing in split times or, likely more common, an automated timing system (i.e. CTS Dolphin) didn't register a soft touch by an athlete.
Adding/Editing Relay Splits
Once you have selected to Show Splits from the heat/lane Actions menu, you can click on the ADD or EDIT SPLITS button to the right to add or make changes to the splits.
>>Note: Splits should only be added after a result time is present.
➧ Result Time, Reaction Time, Lap and Cumulative Splits
- Result time in the top right of the form is for information purposes and is not editable. The time will update after changes are saved.
- The final split’s lap and cumulative splits are not editable. The cumulative time must match the result time. The lap split will be calculated to match.
- Reaction times can safely left blank if you only have the split times.
- When entering a split type (lap or cumulative), Maestro will compute the other one automatically.
- Pressing enter on the last row of inputs will automatically submit the form.
- Pressing cancel throws away any changes and gives the user a chance to start from scratch.
- To clear a split either (a) delete the time from the ‘cumulative split’ column or use the ‘clear split’ option in the row menu.
>>Tips: Entering ‘020’ will result in ‘0.20’ when entering reaction times, and pressing enter will jump focus to the next split of the same type (lap or cumulative) enabling the user to speed through entering data.
➧ Split distance
- The split distance controls allow changing what split distance is visible.
- Even if the split distance changes, any hidden fields with data will be saved.
- This setting is remembered for the meet (or until app reload).
➧ Shifting Rows
The arrow button to the right of each row enables shifting up or down of rows or clearing the data.
The shift and clearing options will only be enabled if there is a blank row above or below the row.
If splits are hidden (split distance selection) the hidden rows will be made visible before shifting the data so that data does shift to a hidden row.
>>Tip: Multiple rows can be shifted at the same time by picking a row several rows below/above the blank and pressing the shift button.
Results Report: Splits and Reaction Times
The Sort and display options within the Results Report have options to include splits and reaction times.
1 Column Display
2 Column Display
3 Column Display
➧ Individual Events - Long Events
1 Column Display
➧ Individual Events - Short Events
1 Column Display
Splits in Meet Maestro Results Exports
Splits will be included in the HY3 and SD3 result file exports from Meet Maestro to your SwimTopia team management interface or exported directly to you for import into another application.
Splits Display in Your SwimTopia Site
For more details on where splits display in your SwimTopia team management interface ➞ See SwimTopia Splits & Reaction Times