There are some situations where teams will need to set up multiple seasons per year.
- Teams with a Summer and Winter season
- High school teams that have different seasons for girls and boys
- Teams that offer a pre-season conditioning program before summer begins
- Teams that offer clinics and lessons
The benefits of setting up multiple seasons include:
- People who are not members of one season can register for things offered in the other season
- It’s easier to communicate with families based on their season affiliation
- It’s easier to report on and manage members based on their season affiliation
Covered in this Article:
- What is a Season?
- Current Season
- Schedule/Calendar Display and Your Seasons
- Registrations/Affiliations and Seasons
- Setting up Multiple Seasons
- Setting Up Your Seasons
- Setting up Registration Forms
- Opening Registration
- Viewing/Reporting on Registrations
- Closing Registration
What is a Season?
A Season is simply a span of time during which your team’s activities take place. The simplest is a single season spanning the calendar year, January 1 through December 31. This is the default and is all most teams ever need.
- A season defines a range of time, from the start date to the end date.
- Seasons are used to organize your events, athlete affiliations, role assignments, sponsorships and registrations.
- The selected "Current season" determines which season is active, regardless of the current date.
- Members who are affiliated with the active current season are included in Communications and Reports.
- If a season has an age-up date, that date is used to determine athlete ages for age groups.
- By setting the current season you can control when your team "rolls over to the next season."
» Note: Seasons may overlap and everything will work fine. However, when setting up your start and end dates, it’s better to not have gaps between your seasons. Meets can have a separate age-up date, so check this date on your meet details (Edit page) if ages seem off when doing meet entries.
The “Current Season” simply means, which season is active right now on your site affecting who is part of your roster, roles, communication, and reports for that season.
If the date span of the current season doesn’t include today’s date, you will see messages about fixing your season. You can safely ignore this for the purposes of opening your registration for your next clinic season, for example.
Schedule/Calendar Display and Your Seasons
There is no special “connection” to a particular season. Any RSVP/Calendar Event or Swim Meet that falls within the start and end date of a season will appear in that season’s schedule and your website calendar.
» Note: If you create an event outside of the date range of your seasons, the event will not be able to display on your schedule or website calendar. If this happens, you can expand your season date range to access this event or make updates to the date.
Registrations/Affiliations and Seasons
The way a parent or athlete is connected with a season is via affiliation. Registration is how most affiliations are set. The parent completes the registration and then the parents and their athletes are affiliated with the season that the registration form was opened in. You can also manually affiliate a person via their People page.
For more details on this topic, ➞ See Creating New Accounts - How do Parents Log In?
Everyone with an email address who is affiliated with the current season will receive messages sent to “Members” (unless they have opted out of general emails or been unsubscribed).
Likewise, messages directed to “Members -Previous Season” will be sent to the members of the first official season prior to the current season.
You can also use the Athlete Roster and Parent Information reports to send a message to everyone in any given season.
For more details on this topic, ➞ See Communications: Emails and Alerts
Setting up Multiple Seasons
There are several steps to setting up multiple seasons, especially if the seasons overlap.
For our example, let’s say we have a 6-week pre-season Spring Clinic that is offered in the weeks leading up to the Summer season. In this example, registration for both may be open at the same time, but some athletes might end up in one program and not the other. This is a perfect situation for setting up two seasons.
Here are the steps you would take to set up multiple seasons and the registration forms for both:
- Set up the seasons you need with the start and end dates incorporating the dates of the events that are associated with the season.
- Set the Current Season to the season that you consider active for communication purposes.
- Set up the registration forms required for the seasons you have created.
- Open the applicable forms when it is time to receive registrations.
- View registrations in other seasons using Reports > Registration Details / Data Export
Read on for more details about each of the steps...
Setting Up Your Seasons
Name them recognizably—whatever you’d call them if you were talking with someone on the team about the season or clinic.
The dates for the beginning and end of the season should include all of the important dates of the season, such as the first meeting, the final awards dinner, and the like. You don’t need to include the date you plan to open the registration in this calculation, though, because you can open registration before the season starts.
You can designate a season as “unofficial.” Unofficial seasons are not included in the “Members - Previous Season” mailing list. This means if only your Summer sessions are official, you will be able to easily remind last year’s families when this year‘s registration is open.
➞ See Creating & Managing Your Seasons for more details.
➧ Setting up Your Season: Pre-Season Spring Clinic
➧ Setting up Your Season: Summer Season
Setting up Registration Forms
When you make a new registration form, set the “Section Title” (which is also the name of the registration form) to something meaningful. In our example, there will be a registration form for the 2024 Spring Clinic, and another registration form for the 2024 Summer Season.
For more details, ➞ See our Help Center section about Registration.
When it’s time to open registration for a season, click on the season link on the left side of the Registration page, and slide the Open/Close bar.
Now your Registration Alert snippet on your website will show registration is open.
When people click the Register Now button they’ll choose which registration to complete, and the registrations for each form will be affiliated with their correct season.
» Note: If your Current Season is set to your Spring Clinic, members will not be able to edit their job signups from their Summer registration (or signup for jobs/meets after registration) until you have made that season your Current Season.
Viewing/Reporting on Registrations
When your families begin registering, you’ll see the number of registrations increasing as they complete registering. You can view the individual registrations for forms open in any season by clicking the View Registrants# link.
There you will also see links to reporting options at the top of the page. These reports will only display data pertaining to the specific form.
To see cummulative registration data for all forms within a season, go to Reports > Registration Details / Data Export. When you run the report, select the desired season. Many of the other reports are configurable to show information about any season, so you can use them to learn more details about various seasons.
You can view the roster and other family information in People and search by season to see who has registered.
If a registration shows “Open” in Registrations for any season, you can simply click on the season and then close it. If all registrations are closed in every season, your registration alert snippet will be hidden on your team site.
hcmanagescheduleseasons hcmanagescheduleseasonsaddseason hcmanagescheduleseasonsedit