» Note: Seeding & Scoring Rules only affect meets run in Meet Maestro™. If you have questions about missing seed times or how to exclude unofficial seed times, ➞ See Seed Times: FAQs & Configurations.
Covered in this Article:
- Meet Template Settings
- Meet Specific Settings
- Seeding & Lane Assignment
- Placing & Scoring
- Official Time Computation
- Individual Events
- Relay Events
Meet Template Settings
Settings for seeding and scoring are tied to the Meet Template in SwimTopia and they transfer to Meet Maestro when you merge the meet. For most teams, your league will have set seeding and scoring rules. You can see these rules in your meet, under Schedule > Select Meet Name > Meet Setup > Seeding & Scoring.
➧ Has Your league applied and linked meet templates to your meets? ➞ See SwimTopia Meet Entries – Ready to Merge.
➧ OR...Do You Need to set up seeding and scoring for your team? Edit your dual meet template with the league’s seeding and scoring rules.
You can create/edit your meet templates under Schedule > Meet Templates.
If your meets are already created, you will then need to “Apply” the correct template to each meet. Go to Schedule, and click on the name of a meet. Then go to Meet Setup > Events > Template > Apply Template.
For more details, see our Help Center article about Meet Templates.
Meet Specific Settings
Seeding & Scoring Rules can also apply when the meet is not configured via a Meet Template. The rules set for the meet by the host team are the ones that are used for Meet Maestro.
To edit the scoring and seeding rules in a specific meet, you can find them under Meet Setup > Seeding & Scoring.
Seeding & Lane Assignment
This section controls how meet entries are assigned to heats and lanes during the 'seeding' process.
➧ Order heats by time
Controls whether heats are created "slowest to fastest" or "fastest to slowest" order
➧ Individual/Relay events: seed entries into lanes
Supports separate lane assignment rules for individual and relay events. Lanes can be assigned to specific teams, otherwise, entries are assigned based on time which minimized heat duration and helps the meet run faster. Several options are available to automatically assign lanes to teams:
- Odd/event by team: Assigns home and visitor teams to alternating designated lanes. (Dual meet only)
- Sides by team: Assigns home and visitor teams to sides of the pool, in high or low number lanes. For example home in lanes 1,2,3 and visitor in lanes 4,5,6. (Dual meet only)
- Manually assigned during merge: Adds a step to merge process where lane assignments for each team can be made. Works with any number of teams. Here is an example for a tri-meet -- this window appears after the "Build Meet in Meet Maestro" button has been clicked, on the Merge/Export screen:
➧ Apply assigned lanes
For assigned lanes, this controls when and how the lane assignments are applied. Options include:
- Flexibly: This option will fill lanes with entries from the assigned team, until no more entries for that team are available. If no entries for the assigned team are available, it will fill the lane with the next fastest entry from any team. However, lane assignments are strictly followed in any designated scoring heats.
- Strictly: This option will only fill a lane with an entry from the assigned team. If no team is assigned to the lane or no entries from that team are available, the lane will be left empty.
- In designated scoring heats only: This option will only follow lane assignments in designated scoring heats. All other heats are seeded based on entry time. In meets with designated scoring heats, this option can reduce the overall duration of the meet by optimizing non-scoring heats to group swimmers of similar speed.
» Note: Maestro prevents one swimmer from being in a heat by themselves (assuming there is more than one swimmer in that event) — Maestro will automatically seed each heat to have a minimum of 3 swimmers per heat in a pool with 5 or more lanes (assuming at least 3 swimmers in that event), and a minimum of 2 swimmers in a 4-lane pool (again, assuming at least 2 swimmers in that event), except when (a) the previous heat was a dedicated scoring heat, or (b) the "Apply assigned lanes" setting is set to "Strictly (don't fill unassigned lanes)".
Placing & Scoring
This section controls how places are awarded and how points are scored. Ribbons are awarded based on place. Points are scored primarily based on place, but in some instances, points may be awarded to different places.
➧ Use designated scoring HEATS
- Limit placing and point scoring, or just point scoring to the specified number of fastest heats. Only swimmers seeded into these designated scoring heats will be eligible to be awarded points and overall place ribbons (if placing is also limited). If the "point scoring only" option is selected, swimmers in other heats will be eligible for place ribbons, but not points.
- You can also choose to automatically fill non-scoring lanes in these scoring heats, or leave them empty unless pre-assigned.
➧ Use designated scoring LANES
Limit point scoring and (optionally) placing to the designated number of "inner/fastest" or "first" lanes (see below for more details on the "first" option). Entries in lanes outside the designated scoring lanes will be treated as equivalent to an Exhibition entry, that is ineligible for placing or point scoring (depending on the setting selected).
➞ Limiting placing and point scoring to the "first" N lanes
This option may seem unusual for most, so we wanted to provide a bit more explanation. This is useful if your league/team mandates that the first N lanes are the designated scoring lanes, or if your lanes are numbered out of order.
For Example: The image above would represent your league/team wanting lanes 1-4 as the designated scoring lanes in Heat 1.
- If the coaches don't assign swimmers to those lanes, the system will seed lanes 1-4 as if there were only 4 lanes in the pool: fastest swimmers in the inner 2 lanes (lanes 2,3), next fastest swimmers in lanes 1,4.
- Odd/even lane assignments will be honored strictly in lanes 1-4 in Heat 1. If the other team doesn't have any swimmers in that event, their lanes will remain empty
- All remaining lanes in Heat 1 will be seeded based on your seeding and lane assignment setting.
- All lanes in non-scoring heats will be seeded based on your seeding and lane assignment setting.
If coaches don't make lane assignments, seeding based strictly on time would look like this in an 8-lane pool:
Lane 1: Fastest swimmer
Lane 2: 2nd fastest swimmer
Lane 3: 3rd fastest swimmer
Lane 4: 4th fastest swimmer
Lane 5: 5th fastest swimmer
Lane 6: 6th fastest swimmer
Lane 7: 7th fastest swimmer
Lane 8: 8th fastest swimmer
The odd/even lane assignments will make these seeding assignments look different than the above assignments (and could be slightly different in heats where there are more swimmers from one team in an event). In Heat 1, the lane assignments would be:
Lane 1: 2nd fastest visiting swimmer (if none, leave empty)
Lane 2: Fastest home swimmer (if none, leave empty)
Lane 3: Fastest visiting swimmer (if none, leave empty)
Lane 4: 2nd fastest home swimmer (if none, leave empty)
Lane 5: 3rd fastest visiting swimmer (if none, 3rd fastest home swimmer -- which adjusts assignments in subsequent lanes)
Lane 6: 3rd fastest home swimmer (if none, 3rd fastest visiting swimmer -- which adjusts assignments in subsequent lanes)
Lane 7: 4th fastest visiting swimmer (if none, next fastest home swimmer)
Lane 8: 4th fastest home swimmer (if none, next fastest visiting swimmer)
(non-scoring heats would have the same lane assignments as above, but no lanes will be left empty)
➧ Award places primarily based on
This option controls how places are primarily awarded in Meet Maestro. Options are "time" and "place judging." If the "place judging" option is selected, then the heat place is made editable in the Meet Maestro Run Meet interface to make it easier to input judged places. In designated scoring heats, the judged heat place also becomes the overall place.
» Double-Dual Scoring & Tri-Meet Notes: Maestro does not support double-dual scoring currently. You can download the results file from the Finish & Export screen under the Settings (gear icon) within your meet in Meet Maestro if you want to load them into another system to score as needed. For win-loss in a Tri-meet, each team is ranked relative to the other teams based on total points. First place gets 2 wins. 2nd place gets 1 win and 1 loss, 3rd place gets 2 losses.
Official Time Computation
➧ Watch tolerance
Options to use middle time or average all times
➧ Response when out of tolerance range
Based on the timeframe entered, either a warning will display or the time will be discarded.
➞ Next Topic: SwimTopia - Meet Linking