Customized Permissions for your Roles
You can assign customized administrative permissions to each role, which can provide access to separate admin sections of your site. Any users assigned to that role will inherit the administrative permissions defined in that role.
It's a powerful, flexible and simple system for defining fine-grained permissions on a role-by-role basis.
Covered in this Article:
- Accessing Role Permissions
- Permission Levels
- Permissions Indicators - Keys and Crowns
- Permission Details
- USA Swimming Teams
Accessing Role Permissions
Role Administrative Permissions are managed from within each Role found under the Roles tab in the Manage Team console.
» Tip: We highly suggest limiting the number of administrators assigned to Roles with "All administrative permissions". This will give you more control over who has the ability to make changes that could affect your parents/athletes and financial information. In most cases, other admins may only need to access particular areas such as People, Registration, Meets/Events, or Reporting. You can grant partial privileges based on a role as noted below.
With "Some administrative permissions" selected, a role can be granted Read or Manage permissions for a dozen categories such as Registrations, Financials, Meet Entries or Website.
- With Read access, a user will be able to find and view data and run reports in that category but will be unable to make any changes.
- With Manage access, the user can add data, make edits and delete data.
- If the access in a given category is None, that category of information won't show up at all.
For example, a board role such as Treasurer might need to have access to People, Registrations, Organizational Settings and Financials to access the payment processor setup and payment details (as shown below):
» Note: Some permissions will only display to Premium customers such as Calendar Events, Jobs, Blog Posts, Sponsorships and Merchandise Orders (pertains to Online Store orders, not orders during registration)
Permissions Indicators - Keys and Crowns
Once you assign permissions to a role and assign roles to a user, you likely want to be able to see at a glance which users have what permissions in the system. To provide that quick visibility you'll see icons displayed within the role tags.
A crown icon indicates the role/user has full admin access.
A key icon indicates the role/user has some permissions.
» Tip: Hovering over the role tag when on the People screen will show a summary of categories in which the role/user has read or manage permissions.
When necessary, a Read Only access reminder is shown to the user.
» Tip: Hovering over the information icon (?) will provide guidance on what is accessible for each option. If unsure based on descriptions, you could create a test Parent account with another email to see what access you have with specific permissions set. Testing your own scenarios can help you determine the best combination of permissions for your specific roles.
- You need to at least assign "Read Registration Forms" if you are granting "Manage Registrations" as they are interconnected for the user to get to the registration forms.
- "Manage Roles" and "Read or Manage People" is needed for anyone that is going to be Assigning People to Roles.
- Both "Manage Schedule" or "Manage Swim Meets" allow for Season configurations.
- Under Schedule, you can separate who has access to manage "Swim Meets" and non-meet "Calendar Events" PREMIUM
- "Blog Posts" are your News Posts found under Website PREMIUM
- "Organization Settings" controls access to the "Settings" link found at the top of the screen ➞ See our SwimTopia Site-wide Settings article for details.
- "Financials" determines who can access and manage the payment processor account/configuration screens (under Settings), payment records (including the Payment History report), capture conditional fees, and initiate refunds, so make sure to limit this to only those volunteers who should have access to this sensitive information like your (i.e. the Treasurer/Registrar). By default, the Organization Settings will be set to Read when Financials is Read or Manage. This will provide access to the Settings menu where they can manage the payment processor settings (if they can Manage Financials), but only Read access to all other pages under Settings. If this person is going to manage registrations and refunds, they also need Read or Manage Registration Forms and Manage Registrations.
USA Swimming Teams
Any team administrator granted full "Site Admin" permission on their profile, or assigned to a Role with "All Administrative permissions" can access any of the information detailed below.
As noted above, we highly suggest limiting site-wide access for the safety of your team data. Therefore, if you want to assign someone to a Role with specific permissions to access the USA Swimming membership information, the following permissions are required:
Team Administrators assigned to a role with permission to Read or Manage People will see a visual designation of each athlete’s USA Swimming account status on the People page and within their profiles.
➧ USA Swimming Account Management
Team administrators assigned to a Role with Read Organization Settings AND Manage People permission, can monitor USA Swimming & SwimTopia member accounts that need confirmation of account matching when a potential match is seen in SwimTopia. See ➞ the USA Swimming Account Management Help Center article for more details.
Team administrators assigned to a role with permission to Manage Communications, can click on the “Notify User” link to notify parents of any athletes without a USA Swimming Member ID or accounts not in good standing. This link will automatically generate a pre-populated communication template to be sent to the parents of the athlete, or directly to the non-athlete (i.e. parent).
➧ USA Swimming Member Status Report
Team administrators assigned to a role with permission to Read or Manage People data on the SwimTopia site can generate a full report to view the USA Swimming account status of all members (athletes and non-athletes) or filter the report as needed. See ➞ the USA Swimming Member Status Report Help Center article for more details.
➧ Meet Entries Matrix
Team Administrators assigned to a role with permission to Read or Manage Swim Meets will see a visual designation of each athlete’s USA Swimming account status on the Entries tab within each meet.