The primary difference between high school swim teams and summer/rec and year-round swim teams is that high school teams do not use Age Groups.
SwimTopia supports high school swim teams in the same ways as other types of teams, but with one important difference.
» SwimTopia does not require birth dates to group High School athletes
While the age of the swimmer is a key factor of event eligibility and roster organization in summer/rec and year-round programs, for high school age is usually irrelevant.
For High School teams, grade level can be used to organize rosters and may, in some cases, use this distinction to filter event eligibility (e.g. freshman/sophomore meets).
For more information on how to manage your school grade level designations ➞ See our tutorial on School Year Athlete Groups.
Covered in this Article:
- How SwimTopia Handles High School Athletes
- Reasons Not to Combine HS and MS in one SwimTopia Site
How SwimTopia Handles High School Athletes
➧ Athlete Roster
Date of birth: is not required to manually add or import athletes to a High School swim team
School year: can be added to their profile, and when assigned it will be shown instead of age group. If no school year is assigned, the athlete's default affiliation is "Athlete"
Grade level designations: are initially set to (FR) Freshman, (SO) Sophomore, (JR) Junior, and (SR) Senior, but these can be customized by each team and are included in HY3 roster and entry exports when assigned for each athlete
- School Year vs. Date of Birth: Teams have the option to collect each athlete's school year instead of date of birth (must check to enable this option, and it's currently either/or only)
- Athlete Emails: Teams can collect an email address for each athlete (optional during registration)
- Age Restrictions: There are no age range restrictions for registration or age range overrides on acknowledgement sections
- Age-range override and "swim up" options: have been removed from meet entry settings
- Age designations: for meet events are ignored for meet entry eligibility
- Meet entries: are not organized by age group in the meet entry matrix -- instead they always display as "Women Open" and "Men Open"
- Mailing List: Each school year group becomes an automatic mailing list - type in the name of the group in a new message to email all athletes in that group
Reasons Not to Combine HS and MS in one SwimTopia Site
Team Abbreviation - there can only be one
Meet Entries - The meet entries matrix is combined, and there's no separating that. So you would see MS athletes and HS athletes in the table for all meets.
Communication - You can use athlete roster groups to handle both groups in one site and communicate with those groups specifically, but if you ever wanted to reach out using "Members" or "Members (Previous Season)" or "Athlete" or "Parents" groups, you would be reaching both MS and HS families.
- Merchandising Reports - You can choose what merchandise is provided on each registration form to separate MS and HS merchandise, and you could create two separate online stores, but the reporting is combined at this time.
Based on the reasons above, we suggest keeping the sites separated. If you have further questions, feel free to Submit a request with specific questions.
To sign up for another team site go to https://www.swimtopia.com/signup/