The primary difference between high school swim teams and summer/rec and year-round swim teams is that high school teams do not use age groups. SwimTopia supports high school swim teams in the same ways as other types of teams, but with one important difference.
» SwimTopia does not require birth dates to group High School athletes
While the age of the swimmer is a key factor of event eligibility and roster organization in summer/rec and year-round programs, for high school age is usually irrelevant. For High School teams, grade level can be used to organize rosters and may, in some cases, use this distinction to filter event eligibility (e.g. freshman/sophomore meets). For more information on how to manage your school grade level designations, see our tutorial on School Year Athlete Groups.
Below is a list of ways that SwimTopia handles high school athletes.
- An athlete's date of birth is not required to manually add or import athletes to a High School swim team
- An athlete's school year can be added to their profile, and when assigned it will be shown instead of age group. If no school year is assigned, the athlete's default affiliation is "Athlete"
- Grade level designations are initially set to (FR) Freshman, (SO) Sophomore, (JR) Junior, and (SR) Senior, but these can be customized by each team and are included in HY3 roster and entry exports when assigned for each athlete
- Teams have the option to collect each athlete's school year instead of date of birth (must check to enable this option)
- Teams can collect an email address for each athlete (optional during registration)
- There are no age range restrictions for registration or age range overrides on acknowledgement sections
- Age-range override and "swim up" options have been removed from meet entry settings
- Age designations for meet events are ignored for meet entry eligibility
- Meet entries in the meet entry matrix are not organized by age group -- instead they always display as "Women Open" and "Men Open"
- Each school year group becomes an automatic mailing list - type in the name of the group in a new message to email all athletes in that group